59.1 Patch Notes
Try out heroes in the new Free Hero Slot!
New Feature: Free Hero Slot
You can now try out locked heroes, for free, when they show up in your second hero slot! This is an exciting upgrade to Storybook Brawl. And we think it will be a lot of fun having free "trial runs" with heroes you haven't had a chance to play yet.
Here are the details on how each hero slot works in the new patch:
First hero - This hero will always be one of the following heroes: Geppetto, Krampus, Mrs. Claus, Jack's Giant, Hoard Dragon, The Fates, Merlin, and Pup the Magic Dragon. These heroes are good introductions to the game, providing clear goals and showcasing some of the more important and interesting mechanics in the game. We are giving these 8 heroes for free to all players.
Second hero - This hero is randomly chosen from all other heroes, and is unlocked for a free trial run even if you don't own the hero yet.
Third and fourth heroes - These are randomly chosen from all other heroes, and you must own the hero to choose it.
As a note, some of the heroes that were temporarily free to play can now show up in slot 3 or 4 during hero select. When they do, they will need to be unlocked to be played. (Before they always showed up in slot 1 or 2 and didn't ever need to be unlocked to be played)
Fairy Dust Rewards
This new patch brings better fairy dust rewards in PvP!
- 1st place - Old: 100 -> New: 100
- 2nd place - Old: 70 -> New: 80
- 3rd place - Old: 60 -> New: 70
- 4th place - Old: 50 -> New: 60
- 5th place - Old: 30 -> New: 50
- 6th place - Old: 20 -> New: 40
- 7th place - Old: 10 -> New: 30
And did you know that your first top 4 each day earns you a large +200 fairy dust reward? Now you will see your first win of the day bonus in the results screen!
Storybook Brawl should be very fun and rewarding for free to play players. We believe the increased fairy dust rewards in PvP, combined with free hero trials will go a long way to this goal.
And while we want playing practice games to feel rewarding, we don't want them to have better rewards than non-practice games. Because practice games tend to have easier opponents and can be played much faster (no timer), they were previously the quickest way to earn Fairy Dust. To better line up the rewards, practice games will now give out half of the Fairy Dust rewards listed above.
Old: 2/2 -> New: 3/2
Lucky is hard to justify when it so rarely can trade with enemy characters. The extra point of attack should help allow players to go for the greed.
Old: 6/6 -> New: 10/6
Doombreath was the least purchased level 6 character. It's a cool tech piece to answer Supports and buildarounds that hide in the back row, but with only 6 Attack it was challenging to actually make it fill that role.
Old: Get a plain copy of the first enemy character that dies this brawl. -> New: Get an exact copy of the first enemy character that dies this brawl.
Kidnap grabbing exact copies (with buffs and upgrades) helps line it up with Gloves of Thieving and puts a few extra power points in it.
Old: Transform your characters into random characters one level higher this brawl. -> New: Transform your characters into random characters two levels higher this brawl.
We want Mixawizzle to provide hope when things aren't going so well for you, or you're facing a particularly tough opponent. Our hope here is that Mixawizzle remains risky, but with potential upside to justify buying it sometimes.
Old: 1 cost -> New: 2 cost Old: Give enemy Ranged characters -10 Attack this brawl. -> New: Enemy ranged characters lose half of their Attack this brawl.
Fog often felt ineffective at countering larger ranged enemies. This should help make sure it hits bigger things harder. It's also worth noting that this rounds down, meaning 3 attack ranged characters will go to 1 attack.
Old: Level 6 -> New: Level 7
Phoenix Feather has risen to level 7. It was one of the most consistently chosen level 6 treasures, and should be more on par in power with other level 7s.
Old: Level 6 -> New: Level 5
Summoning Portal was tough to justify over other level 6 treasures even when playing summon-heavy strategies. This change should allow you to justify it more often.
Old: +3 Gold each round. Your shop stops selling spells. -> New: +4 Gold each round. Your shop stops selling spells.
Not seeing spells anymore is a steep price, and getting 4 gold each turn helps make it worthwhile.
Old: When you lose a brawl, take 2 less damage. -> New: When you lose a brawl, you gain +2 Health.
This change is clarifying that Ruby Slippers is essentially gaining health. It does not change the functionality; you will still survive if the +2 Health keeps you above 0.
- Coin of Charron's old design has been cut.
- The old Monkey's Paw is now called Coin of Charron.
- The old Hexing Wand is now called Monkey's Paw.
- Dark Portal cut
Bug Fixes and New Features
- Results screen now shows your final cast of characters and treasures.
- Added brand new queue screen.
- When you timeout on a selection you will get the choice if you had clicked on something.
- Updated the card gallery to match both this week and last week's changes.
- Cards that grant XP will now have a hanger explaining how it works.
- Fixed some SFX not being effected by volume settings.
- Fixed issues where rapidly grabbing / releasing cards would lock up the client.
- Fixed an issue that could cause Pumpkin King to summon non-Evil characters.
- Characters added to the shop with 0 cost due to a full hand no longer count for buy abilities (such as Snow Angel).
- Romeo's ability buffing Juliet will now correctly buff Echowood.
- Characters summoned by Phoenix Feather immediately after attacking now get to attack again, lining up with all other summons.
- Merlin's ability can now only buff living allies when you cast a spell during a brawl.
- Blessing of Athena and Ride of the Valkyries fixed to buff summoned characters when they are cast during a brawl.
- Wizard's Familiar, Spell Weaver, and Princess Wight have been fixed to only grow from their abilities during a brawl while they are in the brawl and alive.
- Muerte will now trigger from Copycat triggering a Last Breath; the leftmost character behind Copycat will be the ability that Muerte copies.
- Pup the Magic Dragon's ability is now properly doubled by Evil Eye doubling your Support bonuses.
- Updated settings to include improved resolution settings, windowed borderless mode, FPS options, Cursor lock options, and timer volume.
- Updated shop screen to give more space to the hand.
- Updated the pair highlight effect.
- Outro scene in shop waits longer before showing.
UPDATED: July 13, 2021
- Fixed SFX not being effected by volume setting
- Fixed "--" on rank results
Note: this article was originally published on Storybook Brawl's news feed on Steam.