As we work towards taking Storybook Brawl from Early Access to Full Launch, one of the places we are focusing on improving is our visuals. Fortunately, we recently brought on superstar artist Rafael Zanchetin to take a crack at updating our card frames. One overarching goal here is to make our card frames feel like they fit in with our Celtic Storybook style. Let’s take a look at some of the early sketches along with a few underlying goals!
Hero Frame Goals
- Show off our beautiful hero art as much as possible.
- Make Heroes feel like the star of the show.
- Make health feel like the central most important attribute of heroes.
Character Frame Goals
- Show off our beautiful character art as much as possible.
- Make Attack and Health icons feel distinct.
- Figure out a plan to make sure 3 digit numbers look good.
- Make shapes that feel good when they slam into other characters.
Spell and Treasure Frame Goals
- Make each card type feel distinct.
- Make spells feel magical, and have a plan for how they’ll sit on the hero portrait
- Make treasures feel like they are sitting inside a treasure chest.
- Should treasure chests have a locked state when you don’t have treasures yet?
I hope everyone enjoyed this inside look at the beginnings of work on our new card frames. We are excited to share more inside looks at our process as we build out this awesome game. We’ll keep you posted with updates on these frames, as well as work on other features as they come in.
Remember: Storybook Brawl is still in Early Access, so we would love to hear your thoughts and feedback!