Behind The Art - New Board Sketches
A sneak peak of the new board sketches the Art team is working on
As the art team started working on the new card frames we quickly realized we would have to start exploring what the final board would look like since the two elements are so closely related when playing the game.
Heroes and Spells
- Differentiate each card type’s frame in shape.
- Improve visuals on Hero/Spell attachment.
- Fairy well under hero that activates when spell is attached.
- Long card names and textboxes are used to test that frames still look good.
- Have player experience fit in the shape of the frame.
- Hero counters would go opposite the player experience.
- Unrolling scroll with cool animation to see full text on spells
The Game Board
- Move heroes opposite each other to allow for easy “Z” shaped eye flow as you read the board.
- Use water as a clean dividing line between each player’s side of the board to make it feel more integrated visually.
- Make hero, characters, and treasure location feel connected and tell a story.
- Use lighting to bring the board to life.
I hope you enjoyed this inside look on where we’re heading with our game boards.
As always, we’d love to hear your thoughts on this and everything else Storybook Brawl. Feel free to send any questions our way via our discord.
-Jeremy Cranford, Art Director